Thursday, May 2, 2019

Jaden Karlsrud: What I learned about making a 1950s-era video project

Jaden Karlsrud
Guest Contributor

In Mr. Gonsiewski’s 20th Century America class, we were assigned to make a video project depicting a version of a show from the 1950s or about the 1950s. My groupmates and I decided that we would use the show M*A*S*H for our video. Through the creation of this video project I learned about many elements of the 1950s that I did not know before. Making this video project taught me about the Space Race and Sputnik specifically. I learned why this satellite was sent up and how it was significant. I learned about the civil rights movement, and how in the 50s African Americans were first let into the army. In the early 50s around the time of the Korean war the president decided to finally let African Americans join the US army. I also learned about the duck-and-cover drills also from the era. In the event of an atom bomb being detonated you would duck and cover at the sight of the bright light. I learned about all of these topics during the creation of our video project for Mr. G.

Jaden's video project can be seen below.