Thursday, May 7, 2020

Phone Addiction: It’s real, but it was inevitable

Cheyenne Carr
Staff Writer

I do think teens are addicted to their phones. I’m addicted to my phone, it’s a bad habit but that’s how I grew up. I grew up with two parents and two older siblings who were always on their phone. I used to think to myself: “Why are they always on their phone?” They used to always text when I was trying to talk to them. I thought to myself, that was so rude. But now I do the same thing. I know that parents and most teachers don’t like kids being on their phones 24/7 but that’s the environment we grew up in, they grew up in a completely different one.
  I think that phones should be allowed in class. Kids should be able to have the option of being on their phone during class or not. If a student is on their phone during class then it’s their fault if they are not paying attention. If a student has their phone in their backpack then they will always be thinking about who is texting them or trying to get in contact with them. I know it can be distracting but then it’s going to be the student’s problem when they don’t have any of the notes or have know idea what’s going on in class.
  Phones can make us feel connected and isolated. We feel connected because we’re always talking to someone on Snapchat or texting someone. How we use our phone for everything. But we can also feel isolated because we might be able to connect to someone over the phone but it’s not the same as connecting in person. There are no emotions or facial expressions over the phone. Kids my age don’t know how to have a real conversation with someone in person.